Monday, September 26, 2011

Mansa & Overloaded Buses

My time in Mansa went very well and it was good to have extended time with Humphrey Mugula and work through the financial issues that the school has faced this year. The withdrawal last year of the sponsor who paid the students sponsorship has sent the school into catch up mode all year. When we look at the operational expenses that we as a church endeavour to help with we do not even cover the full power and water payments that the school makes. The need for more partnerships to help in many areas is very pressing. Churches and individuals who are interested in making a difference in Bemba speaking village life - we really want to hear from you! Email me on donald@riverbend.org.nz - any support small or large will be a huge blessing and an investment in eternity.

I was able to teach at Mansa Chapel on Sunday morning which was a blessing. They are actually an English speaking church and have an interest in supporting the school so it was good to spend time with them. Humphrey and His family hosted me for lunch afterward - they are such a lovely family, committed to the Lord and seeing the church grow. Humphrey and many of the church every Saturday are out doing personal evangelism - there commitment to the gospel is a real example.

Well the bus was scheduled to leave at 3.30pm it arrived late and we got away at 4:30pm expecting to be in Luasaka at 4-5pm. There was much dispute as there were not enough seats - I was moved to a seat that was worn out and had a metal rod poking the side of my leg, but even with the rearrangements there were still not enough seats. Well we sped off and made it to the junction where you go to Samfya in 40 minutes a journey that is usually 50-60 minutes - we were flying! At the junction a huge number of people poured into the bus. The Isle was full and I think there may well have been about 120 on board. In our row of five seats and the isle there were 10 people - 2 women with two children on knees and one girl about 13 years on the floor by their feet. On my side there was me, a man holding a boy, a woman and then in the isle a man sitting on a bag and my lap as well at times - 10 people across !! Well we arrived in Lusaka at 2:30am after leaving an hour later we arrived 2 hours early!! These buses fly!

I was picked up by the lodge I am staying at and caught a little sleep before another beautiful clear day in Zambia. Later today I meet with Webster Nonde a new member of the Samfya board and look forward to learning about him and his life and ministry here in Lusaka.

Tomorrow I fly to Johannesburg, Singapore and then Manado Indonesia where I meet with the Pyatt’s who work with New Tribes Mission. Please pray that I will be able to be a real encouragement to them in the work that they are doing and that I will be able to learn as much a possible about the training that they are involved with to many village/highland people.

No comments: