Wednesday, September 8, 2010

OUR LAST DAYS – WOW

Gwen & Patricia


This has been such an amazing time! Did you ever think I would ever come here to Samfya and enjoy my time here. I still scream at the critters much to the delight of any locals nearby – I am glad I have been able to provide them with so much entertainment. I have a best friend here and her name is Patricia. I have written about her before and she has certainly proved here worth with the team here. She has helped me so much in the kitchen but has also even organised the ladies doing the cleaning, dishes and laundry. I am supposed to do that but they don’t speak much English and I speak even less Bemba so she has been a god send!

Yesterday I was out looking for Donald when I heard Patricia scream. I thought that isn’t like her I wonder what has happened. Well when I got back she said look at what I found in the cupboard! It was a bat! Now how on earth the bat got in the cupboard we will never know, but one of the cleaning ladies took it and killed it!!!!! Then they took it outside and guess what happened when they showed me – yep I screamed! You would all be proud!

The EMI team are here and they are great. There is a wide range of ages and they are very hard workers. Some are not well and they are all battling with jet lag but they still carry on. Katie has been enjoying watching the different things like the surveying and the water testing. The first day they were here Katie had a tummy bug and we had to get someone to look after her as I was supposed to be doing the catering! She is doing fine now which is great.

I think they have been enjoying the meals. Patricia has been here helping as she wanted to learn how to cook some different things. She has certainly mastered it. She is a detail person which means that the two of us work well together.

Well this must be the shortest blog update by me yet, but I do need to go and actually do some work in the kitchen.
I guess my next update will be from Lusaka
Bye for now
Gwen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love reading your accounts Gwen! The bat incident reminded me of a time in India when I was in a church service and bats kept swooping low around our heads as we sang. That creeped me right out! About the only time a mantilla was happily worn by all the women! as protection!!
have a happy last few days
Blessings to you all for the work you are doing and will continue to do. Love Karen