Monday, September 20, 2010

Hi from London

Donald and Katie with the London eye in the background! -opps it is sideways again!!!
Katie and Gwen in front of the London Tower.
Big Ben _ sorry it is sideways not sure how to rotate it!
Donald beside the foundations that Charles Spurgeon laid.


We arrived in Heathrow, London after a flight of 10 ½ hours. Donald and Katie had been able to sleep but I couldn’t – I just dozed on and off!

We are staying with Doug and Royal and they have been looking after us really well and are very helpful with what to see and do here.

Saturday after arriving and having a shower we headed out to see London! We took a train into the city. We intended to go on the London eye but have decided after seeing the queue that we would do that on Monday once everyone was back at work! We went to the London Tower and they have a beefeater ( a guy dressed in a red dress and tights) as a guide. They give you all the history and a lot of the history here is very gory! Katie got quite uneasy and then ended up in our bed in the middle of the night! He talked about things like the tortures that happened, the people who got beheaded and also about 2 little boys that went missing and then they found their bodies later!

We got to ride on a double decker bus, a train and the tube. We have also seen Big Ben (from a distance). The London tower is where the British Crown Jewels are and we got to see them - ummm I wonder if they really are real!!!

We got back home at round 7pm and then us and Royal went to the local Indian Restaurant. After parking the car, we were walking to the restaurant when we heard an old man yelling. He was homeless and was yelling at another man. The other man ended up turning his walking stick upside down and hitting the homeless man a couple of times. It was a very yuck thing to watch! Ummm maybe that was what was upsetting Katie!

Anyway we got to have our dinner and the atmosphere in this place was incredible. It was just buzzing! We got home and I realised that I hadn’t had any sleep since 7am Friday and my eyes were starting to play tricks on me so it was time for Katie and I to go to bed! The nice thing was that church here didn’t start until 11am so we had a big sleep in!

Today is Sunday and Donald is sharing at church about Samfya Bible School and also doing the teaching. Charles Spurgeon helped to establish this church – how amazing to be here! Chris and Stella Fair have also joined us and we spent the day with them today. We went to visit Krystle and she is not well at the moment. As we parted ways they were then on their way to the hospital and Krystle was now there! We had dinner at Leicester Square! Katie has found it very exciting as she loves to play monopoly and we are seeing so many places from the board! The 5 of us walked though Kensington Garden and Hyde Park. There is a huge monument that Queen Victoria had put up as a memorial for her husband Prince Albert! It was massive – I told Donald not to expect one that big hehe

We had to go on the tube again today. I have decided that I don’t like riding the tube. As for getting there tonight we had to go down 3 floors down (I think). Now you all know I don’t like heights well we have now gone on an escalator that was the whole 3 floors all at once!!! Yep it was really long. The first time we went on it, it was full and Stella and I were chatting so as we got on it I hadn’t noticed! After a while I thought gee whiz this is taking ages and looked ALL the way up. Now my knees are going like jelly and I really don’t like having sweaty palms!!!

Ohhhh dear tomorrow we are planning to go on the London eye!!! That is like a VERY big ferris wheel (well over 130 metres up!) but it goes really slowly and takes about a ½ hour! Ohhhh I am so not looking forward to it however I will be a brave girl (hopefully) and do it anyway despite as Donald calls it and irrational fear!

Donald got a skype call from his sister Meryl and Meryl and Denys are in London! We are going to try and meet up with them tomorrow if we can.

Well I really should go to bed now as it is getting rather late!

Well update again soon.

No comments: