Tuesday, August 24, 2010

We are home

Hi there everyone,
It is now Monday night. We are back in Samfya and had a safe journey home! Gosh the entry into Lusaka was a bit difficult, but Donald did us all proud with no incidences – thank goodness. There were cars going everywhere, overtaking where they shouldn’t and having to push their way in. At one point Donald even pulled right over as the car overtaking cars in front of us almost had a head on collision! It really was rather scary! Also it is really hard to see people walking on the roads (and there are many), not only because their skin is so dark but also because is no road lighting or markings! Makes for very hard driving.

On the way we saw a bus that was in a ditch on the side of the road. It looks like the driver might have fallen asleep! There aren’t so many pot holes anymore on this part of the journey which is nice but there are still a few.
This morning we headed off to Lusaka Bible Society and picked up 11 boxes of Bemba Bibles which had 24 bibles in each box, and said our Goodbyes to Paul, Janet and Lily. Thankfully we were coming home with only the three of us with only one hand luggage bag so there was plenty of room. Katie at one point even stretched out and went to sleep in the back! The Atkinson’s will fly out tomorrow for home! It was really nice to have them here and sharing our home.

The Bibles are loaded in the car and Donald gets a phone call from our elders. So he stands outside the Bible Society as that is where he can hear the best (even then it was really hard). Katie and I wait in the car. Walking past was a man pulling a cart with what looked like a pie warmer on it and in it were some sausage rolls and pie looking items. I decide that I would like a photo but by the time I get the camera out and ready he had gone. Well this lady who was going past started yelling at me and asked me why I had taken a photo of her! I told her that I hadn’t then she was even more offended and said why didn’t you take a photo. I told her that I didn’t want a photo of her and motioned with my hands for her to go away. She kept yelling at me and (naughty me) said what a stupid woman! A man (who wasn’t even with her) asked me why I was picking a fight with that woman. I told him she was picking a fight with me and so he kept walking. What a lovely start to the day!

Well true to form so far for Donald in Africa he was pulled over by the traffic police AGAIN! This time however we had had some warning and Donald was making sure he was doing just under 100kms! They pulled us over, shook Donald hand and mine then tried to tell Donald that he was doing 112kms. He told them no he wasn’,t so the police officer said oh well I will only give you the minimum fine. Donald just looked at him and I said but he wasn’t doing that speed! He ended up just saying oh well just go – so we did. I think he thought we would just pay him – maybe he didn’t realise we were locals hahahahaha

We went through so many police stops today which really was a nuisance! At one of the stops the police officer asked where we were going and where had we come from. Then he waved to another guy and he came over. I thought oh what is he going to say now! He was actually an immigration officer and checked our Nationals cards and Donald’s work visa looked inside the car and waved us on. We think they were looking for illegal people as there are many and it was on the road that goes to Tanzania!

We get to the place where the bus was and took a photo. Donald looks across the other side of the road and some men who were sitting there we holding their hand out wanting money for us taking a photo! Donald just said you have got to be kidding to them and we left. They were just after a quick dollar!!

At the Serenji Junction we picked up a hitchhiker! She was a 24 year old American girl. She is with the peace corps here. There are so many of these people here. We dropped her off at the Samfya turnoff and she caught a taxi back to her village.

We got back to Samfya and Donald pulls into Peter’s house to find out when they (Donald, Peter and Francis) were leaving to go to the Mambelema conference only to find out that their accommodation has been paid for from tonight! So home we come, he packs his bag, while I made him something for dinner and he has gone. He will be back on Wednesday or maybe Thursday. He is teaching at 8:00am in the morning but wasn’t sure about when the next session was!
Donald had a tummy bug last week – I am sure it was because he had been doing so much. He also hadn’t had a good nights sleep for a while as for some reason

Copper had decided that he needed a toilet stop in the middle of the night. Thankfully he isn’t doing that anymore! I hope Donald will some time to rest before he goes to pick up the EMI Team. The arrive on 2nd of Semptember, So Donald has to drive to Lusaka again! It will be pretty full on until they leave and then he will have to take them down again, drive back and a few days later we leave!

It looks like I will be organising the catering for the team so while Donald is away will put together a menu and then we will be going to Mansa (probably on Monday) to get the supplies from Shoprite, then I will start baking for them for time they are here. Ummm looks like another busy time for us!

This week Katie will be trying to finish all her schoolwork. She will also have to do her job at SCCP. The American girls are leaving there this week so that means Katie’s job will also be finished!

Oh I don’t know if I told you but we met the Fullers the other day and went to their home for dinner which was a nice treat. We got to know them a little bit as well and hopefully they can come to our place before we leave.

Just after Donald left tonight the power went off and it is now 7:30 and it is still off. I hope it comes on soon. This is probably the part that gets to me the most – not having power as when it is dark there isn’t much to do when the power is off.

Well I had better stop moaning and go and tuck Katie in.
Good night everyone
Gwen

No comments: